dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] comments on DSS requirements

At 12:30 PM 7/22/2003 +0100, Pieter Kasselman wrote:

>Comment on comments in-line :)

Couldn't these just be different URIs at the same service?

htp://dss.acme.com/highSecurity/
htp://dss.acme.com/mediumSecurity/
htp://dss.acme.com/lowSecurity/

What I like about this, is then client configuration is just a matter of
knowing the URI - i.e., a single piece of information.  If the client has
to access a URI *and* request a policy, then the user will have to fill in
2 text fields before accessing the service.  Even though it's the same
quantity of information, I think splitting it up and having people juggle 2
things would be confusing.

That's why the current doc says the URI determines the application profile,
and also other "Implicit Parameters" such as which key to sign with, what
certs and validation info to include, which signed/unsigned attributes are
included, and anything else that the Application Profile allows to vary.

(for example, an Applicaton Profile might allow each service to include a
particular signed attribute in the signature, or not.  Then it would be an
Implicit Parameter of each DSS service supporting the Application Profile
whether it did this or not).

I agree this needs more discussion at the F2F though!

Trevor