dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Implicit parameters

At 10:36 AM 10/6/2003 +0100, Pieter Kasselman wrote:

>[Pieter Kasselman]  There is also discovery - a client may need to
>know what implicit choices were made (e.g. to determine why the result is
>different from separate servers/services).

Good point.  Hopefully we can avoid that for v1, or reference some other
web-services standard for service description?

>[Pieter Kasselman]  By providing a mechanism for parameter
>selection/parameter inspection we do not have to focus on which parameters
>are implicit or explicit or worry that for a certain type of service in a
>certain jurisdiction we are failing to communicate a vital parameter because
>we can not explicitly communicate that parameter. We may still allow certain
>parameters to be set explicitly elsewhere in the protocol, but we have a
>flexible mechanism for specifying additional parameters. WS-Policy, is just
>one way to express this, and we may simply opt for a URN or a similar
>pointer.

The last spec has an "ApplicationProfile" URI as an option.  Should we add
a WS-Policy option?  If you understand WS-Policy and can suggest text or
explain how it works that would help.  I suspect many people (like myself)
simply don't know much about it.

Trvor