dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Implicit parameters

Colleagues - It must be possible for a requester to specify nothing more
than an identifier.  The identifier identifies a policy, which can be
expressed in any number of different ways.  If, at some time in the future,
there exists something called WS-Policy, then possibly it will serve the
purpose.  It is too soon to tell.  Fortunately, we don't have to concern
ourselves with anything other than the need to accommodate an identifier.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 6:22 AM
To: Pieter Kasselman; 'Nick Pope'; OASIS DSS TC

At 10:36 AM 10/6/2003 +0100, Pieter Kasselman wrote:

>[Pieter Kasselman]  There is also discovery - a client may need to
>know what implicit choices were made (e.g. to determine why the result is
>different from separate servers/services).

Good point.  Hopefully we can avoid that for v1, or reference some other
web-services standard for service description?

>[Pieter Kasselman]  By providing a mechanism for parameter
>selection/parameter inspection we do not have to focus on which parameters
>are implicit or explicit or worry that for a certain type of service in a
>certain jurisdiction we are failing to communicate a vital parameter
because
>we can not explicitly communicate that parameter. We may still allow
certain
>parameters to be set explicitly elsewhere in the protocol, but we have a
>flexible mechanism for specifying additional parameters. WS-Policy, is just
>one way to express this, and we may simply opt for a URN or a similar
>pointer.

The last spec has an "ApplicationProfile" URI as an option.  Should we add
a WS-Policy option?  If you understand WS-Policy and can suggest text or
explain how it works that would help.  I suspect many people (like myself)
simply don't know much about it.

Trvor

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php