dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] base64

At 09:14 AM 10/7/2003 -0400, Tim Moses wrote:

>Trevor - Personally, I was surprised to see the <Document> element
>containing Base64-encoded.  I don't believe there is a need for this.  I
>think the requester should have a direct, integrity-protected, connection to
>the signature server.  There should be no opportunity for any hanky-panky in
>the link.  Obviously, Base64-encoding is not an integrity mechanism.

Makes sense.  I'll change <Document> to contain a choice of:
  - <BinaryData> which is base64'd data and a MIME type
  - <XMLData> which is arbitrary XML

Rich, your schema mentions transferring XML both in the clear and
base64-encoded, and says something about "encoding" - are there character
encoding issues that would necessitate base64'd XML, where the
InputDocument might be in a different encoding than the protocol message?

Trevor