dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] EU Directive versus ABA "digest signatures"

John,

I do not believe it appropriate te for the DSS to give give a definitive
opinion on the legal accepatability and strength of this mechanism for court
filing.  Firstly, the legal implications of using particular mechanisms for
court filing I expect differs widely across different nations and, other
than yourself John, I beleieve that this committee is from a technical
background.  Secondly, the security that can be achieved with a database
depends on many factors outside the scope of the protocol: such as the
platform used, the security management, physical / procedural controls.

It is reasonable for the DSS to consider adding support for this mechanism
as a profile of the DSS protocol, and in doing this there needs to be some
discussion on its merits.   Thus, I am happy that we continue this
discussion on the list but I suggest that I suggest that the assessment of
the approach for court filing is more appropriately done at the individual
level than as a formal position by the DSS.

Nick