dss message

Subject: RE: <DocumentURI>

At 06:44 PM 10/22/2003 +0200, Gregor Karlinger wrote:

>Trevor,

I think these are separate issues - you can send a full document to the
server, and the server can still respond with a signature that *refers* to
this document.

>Think of cases where material which is available in the internet or in a
>separated network by resolving URLs: IF The DS creation service does not
>allow specifying the data to be signed as URL, the client has to fetch the
>data itself (first network traffic) and then provide it to the service as
>part of the creation request (second network traffic). I see this as a
>severe limitation.

You may be right.  But just to argue the other side:
  - If the client *hasn't* already fetched the data, he's signing something
he hasn't seen, and that's no good.
  - The client can always provide a hash of the data, to avoid your
"(second network traffic)".  In fact, your solution just moves this traffic
from the client to the server (the server has to fetch the
document).  Sending a hash of the data eliminates it entirely.

Also, client-side hashing works whether the document is at a URL where the
server can access it or not.  So in terms of performance and universality,
client-side hashing seems superior.

I guess the only problem with it is that clients need to implement hash
algorithms, which requires smarter/more functional clients that we'd
like.  But performing a hash is much less complicated than doing any of the
PKI stuff, which is the real burden DSS servers eliminate, imho.

>What would be the advantages of limiting the provision of the
>data-to-be-signed to explicitly passing it along as part of the request?

There's a security concern, if the client asks the server to sign something
the server has access to, but the client doesn't.

Otherwise, the advantage is just a simpler protocol, with one less feature
servers have to support.

Trevor