dss message

Subject: new docs

Hi DSS,

I updated the core document and the time-stamping profile, and made a
"template" profile separate from the time-stamping profile.

Changes to core:
  - HTTP POST "transport binding"
  - TLS "security bindings"
  - <Language> optional input so the client can request the language to be
used for localized strings.

Questions:
  - are these the only bindings we need?
  - TLS is actually several security bindings, depending on the type of
authentication.  In addition to server-authenticated X.509 and
mutual-authenticated X.509, support for SRP password authentication [1] was
added.  This might be controversial.

It seems useful for our use cases where the server was signing on behalf of
a client because the client doesn't have its own private key and
cert.  However, TLS/SRP is still an internet-draft, there's only a couple
implementations so far, and there's some IPR questions (though these have
mostly cleared up IMO, since the SRP patent issued some months ago).

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5291/oasis-dss-1.0-core-spec-wd-11.doc
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5292/oasis-dss-1.0-core-spec-wd-11.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5297/oasis-dss-1.0-core-schema-wd-11.xsd

Here's a new "template" that we could use for profiles.
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5293/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-XYZ-spec-wd-01.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5294/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-XYZ-spec-wd-01.doc

The structure was changed to make it easier to have profiles that only
profile particular things.  In particular, it has separate sections for
protocol profiles, processing profiles, and signature profiles, so you only
need to fill in the relevant parts.  It's still not that fleshed out though.

As for the time-stamping profile,
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5295/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-timestamping-spec-wd-03.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5296/oasis-dss-1.0-profiles-timestamping-spec-wd-03.doc

there were 2 remaining questions about it:
  1) what type of signature object should it deal with? (<Timestamp> -
Trevor, <XMLTimeStampToken> - Nick)
  2) is a secure binding needed, or is verifying the signature good enough
(binding is a good idea - Trevor; not necessary - Nick)

As for (1), this document reflects my thinking, but Nick's approach could
just be a profile of this profile - i.e., it would just add a "signature
profile" to nail down the type of signature object supported.

As for (2), um... the document reflects my thinking too.  Well, I'm writing
it, what do you expect :-).  Hopefully other people can think about this
and express opinions, so we can have a better basis for a decision...

Trevor

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-srp-06.txt