dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Profile Identifiers

Trevor,

I generally agree.  Each implementable concrete profile should have a URI.

However, in the case where there are two concrete profiles specified in a
document as described below.  An implementation need only implement one.
So, for example, I could implement the <dss:TimeStamp/XMLTimeStampToken>
profile without implementing <dss:Timestamp>.

I like the idea of making this profile identifier part of the main structure
rather than an optional input.  In fact, I would prefer to make it a
mandatory element of the protocol which is always included by the client so
that implementations can easily ensure that it is handling the expected type
of request from a client and so make implementations more robust.  Can
anyone think of a scenario when a profile would not be identified?

Thinking about this raised a related question.  Do we need an optional
version number for a profile so that servers can manage change between
profile versions.

Nick