dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] OASIS DSS - SignatureObject on Input

At 10:15 AM 9/14/2004 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:
>Intermixed.

The above wasn't a description of a use case, it was a description of the 2
current ways a returned signature can be inserted in a document (either the
client can do it, or the client can ask the server to do it with the
<SignaturePlacement> optional input).  AFAICT, you're requesting a 3rd
way.  I don't understand why the above ways are inadequate to your scenario.

>You're considering the case where the client wants the Signature Object (a
>timestamp) inserted into a particular type of document (a different
>Signature Object).
>
>[Ed] No, not that one either. I clearly stated the use case involved the
>client's
>need to timestamp an "existing" signature whether it be an ASN1 or XMLDSIG
>one.

I understood that.  I thought it's what I described.

>  The scenario could be an internal corporate PKI wishing to have an
>independent timestamp applied to an existing internally created signature.
>Clearly the client needs to pass the signature in.

Yes.  It could pass the signature in as an Input Document.  The server will
produce a Signature Object (a timestamp) which now must be inserted in the
original signature (the Input Document) in some way.  There are 2 ways to
do that, above.

I'd still like to understand why those ways don't work in your case, before
we consider adding something new.

Trevor