dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Authentication Token

At 12:46 PM 10/27/2004 -0400, Ed Shallow wrote:
>[...]
>     I do not think that the subtle semantic difference between
> ClaimedIdentity (now with SupportingInfo) and RequesterIdentity (always
> had SupportingInfo) is worth distinct and separate naming.

I like your previous proposal better.  RequesterIdentity and
ClaimedIdentity have pretty different functions:
  - RequesterIdentity goes in signature, says "this guy requested the
signature be produced (and here's other public info about him)"
  - ClaimedIdentity goes in protocol, says "I'm requesting a signature be
produced (and here's other data about me which proves my identity and
proves I assent to this request"

The supporting info has very different roles - in the 1st case, it's public
(e.g. a certificate), in the latter case, it may be private and tied to the
protocol request (e.g. a signature, PSTP signature, MAC, etc.).

So I think making the structures similar but not identical, like you first
proposed, is the best approach.

Trevor