dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] JPMorgan/RSA message

At 04:37 PM 10/28/2004 -0400, Glenn.Benson@chase.com wrote:
>[...]
>1.  I am not sure that PSTP fits as a <ClaimedIdentity> because PSTP is a
>signature which binds authentication to integrity.  Also, we require
>further research to determine whether PSTP should be referenced as
>"abstract" or "concrete".

Mm, right, if you use the Verify protocol with UpdateSignature, the PSTP is
the signature, and the claimed identity and authentication token basically
get passed inside the PSTP.

>2.  I hope that I answered the inline question above, i.e., we only need to
>consider the request/response model.

Cool, makes things easier.

>3. I agree that PSTP best fits as a signature representation.  However, in
>accordance to the charter of DSS, a Signature Gateway Profile is general
>technique for processing digital signatures.

Sure, all I'm pointing out is that your profile document will be both a
"signature profile" and a "protocol profile".  I.e. it will profile
XML-DSIG as well as DSS.

>  The purpose of this profile
>is to (i) bridge disparate signature technologies, and (ii) translate
>between different private keying material logistic infrastructures.
>
>In order to further motivate the Signature Gateway Profile, consider a
>large Financial Services institution.  The institution requires that its
>clients sign transactions, but the institution does not process the
>transactions until it validates the signatures.  The financial institution
>has hundreds of applications residing on different servers.   Through
>centralization, the financial institution may deploy specialized
>cryptography hardware in order to both protect keys and optimize
>performance.  Also, the centralized service can hide the complex issues of
>client credential management from the applications.   That is, the
>applications need to understand the logistics of the centralized service's
>keys, but not the clients' keys.

Well said!  I hope you use that paragraph in your profile overview.

I also hope that that centralization justifies having a DSS Server separate
from the proxy server(s).  So that this separation has real benefits, and
isn't just an artifact of squeezing into our model.

Trevor