dss message

Subject: Core: text in section 3.5.8

Dear all,

I would like to comment some thoughts that
came to my mind after reading the text in
section 3.5.8 (Optional input <EnvelopingSignature>)
of the core.

The initial text says:
"The <EnvelopingSignature> element causes the server to incorporate one
of the input documents inside the returned signature. In the case of an
XML signature, the input document MUST be XML and will be placed inside
a <ds:Object> element. In the case of a CMS signature, the input
document’s decoded octet stream will be included as encapsulated content."

I think that this text may be misleading. Specially the part
that says:
"In the case of an XML signature, the input document MUST be XML and
will be placed inside a <ds:Object> element"

Somebody could understand that the protocol forbides the request
of an enveloping XML signature of a binary document!!, which is
something allowed by XMLDSIG.

IMHO the two last sentences in the text could be
taken away, as anybody knows how XMLDSIG envelopes the signed documents,
and how a enveloping CMS signature does the same, and trying to
re-explain in two sentences what is developed in other
standards sometimes generates unnecessary noise.....

Regards

Juan Carlos