dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Action 05-04-18-04 text

Juan Carlos Cruellas wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Here it goes my first approach for the text where the new attribute at
> <dss:XMLData> indicating the encoding mechanism, in section 2.4.2.
> It would start inmediately after the first paragraph

I'd like to suggest a variation.  First let me summarize the issue as I
see it.

Initially we sent all documents in base64.  This could handle anything.
  However, someone pointed out that since this was an XML protocol, we
should be able to send XML documents without encoding.  We added that
without much thought.  I don't think there was any rationale beyond
making the protocol messages more readable.

Now, we're realizing that inheritance of ancestor context is a problem.
  We would like to encode the XML documents and transmit them opaquely.
  I think there are 2 issues:

1) What types of xml encoding should we support?
  - do we allow "inline xml"?  Isn't this asking for problems?
  - is it worth supporting escaped xml (for readability)?

2) How do we change the protocol?  Note that <dss:XMLData> only existed
to provide a special-case for XML **since it didn't need encoding**.
Everything else was shovelled into <dss:Base64Data>.  Now we're
realizing that XML needs encoding too.  So there's no longer any reason
for the distinction between XML and non-XML data.  It would be simpler
to apply encodings uniformly to any input document.

So I suggest one of the following:

If we only want to support base64 encoding, we could eliminate the
<XMLData> and <Base64Data> elements and put the base64'd content of any
input directly under <Document>.  If we want to support multiple
encodings, then we could do them as separate children of <Document>
(e.g. <Base64Data>, <EscapedData>), or simply signal the encoding
through an attribute (as is done below).

Trevor