dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] FW: [dss-comment] Public Comment

Well said Trevor ... I concur.

As an adjunct to Trevor's response, the PostMark in the EPM Profile
encapsulates both, and even allows for an optional RFC 3161 binary token
alongside the dss:Timestamp inside the PostMarkReceipt for backward
compatibility with existing TSA's. This notion could be adopted by the core
fairly easily as Trevor points out.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: January 18, 2006 3:20 AM
To: Nick Pope
Cc: OASIS DSS TC; Trevor Perrin

Nick,

I'm sure more discussion can be found in archives (e.g. [1]).  From what I
remember:

  - The <TstInfo> is similar to RFC 3161 but was adapted to XML, XML-DSIG,
and DSS in various ways.

  - The nonce is optional in RFC 3161.  Its use allows the client to prevent
replay attacks.  DSS, unlike RFC 3161, is designed to be used over some
security binding which prevents replay attacks (as well as protecting
optional inputs/outputs, return values, etc.).  So we don't need to put
extra fields inside the returned signature to secure the protocol.

  - The messageImprint is not placed inside the <TstInfo>, instead the
<TstInfo> is signed along with whatever else the signature covers, which
fits better with XML-DSIG.

  - Defining a new version can be done with a new namespace.

  - The <dss:Timestamp> element is extensible if you'd like to wrap a
different underlying type of timestamp.  If you just want to put other
signed or unsigned stuff in the same <ds:Signature> alongside the
<dss:TstInfo> you can do that already.  So there's no need for additional
extensibility within the <dss:TstInfo>.

Trevor

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200308/msg00015.html