dss message

Subject: Re: [dss]: A first quick Shot at section 4.4 and section 4.6.1

Hi Nick and Tommy,
please see below

Konrad

Nick Pope wrote:
Nearly there - Can we have a (hopefully) short Skype call sometime on Monday to resolve all the final details.
I'm available until 12:00 CET and the from 14:00 to the call.
The MinorResult values now seem to be rather arbitrarily spead between 2.6 and 4.4.  I propose that they are all moved to 2.6 with a backward reference to the three valid signature codes in 4.4.
I agree.
I can't see us being able to capture all the minor codes so I suggest that we make only the Major codes have to be from the Core / Profile (see below)

[...]
> The <ResultMajor> and <ResultMinor> URIs MUST be values defined by
I suggest that we allow other result minors to be defined to cover cases we have not thought about (see below).  So this should be:

> The <ResultMajor> URIs MUST be values defined by
> this specification
> or by some profile of this specification. The <ResultMajor> values
> defined by this specification are:
>
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:Success
> The protocol executed successfully.
>
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:RequesterError
> The request could not be satisfied due to an error on the part of the
> requester.
>
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:ResponderError
> The request could not be satisfied due to an error on the part of the
> responder.
What about the <ResultMinor> values if the <ResultMajor> code is
ResponderError?

[Tommy: Seems like a good idea but I am not sure about the actual values you propose - see below.]

[...] Do you mean "requestor error".
No, I was talking about the <ResultMajor> code urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:ResponderError.
Rather than defining them now should we leave this open so that values of ResultMinor may be other than those defined in the Core or profiles (see above)
Okay let's do it that way, however we then need to state that.
E.g.: Values for <ResultMinor> associated with <ResultMajor> code urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:ResponderError are left open to the implementor.
"" The following <ResultMinor> values is suggest "MAY be"
returned when the <ResultMajor> code is ResponderError.

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:ResponderException
The processing of your request caused an exceptional state. Further
Information should be given in the result message instructing the user
to provide information to the relevant administrator.

[Tommy: Shouldn't a (service) administrator get informed about exceptional conditions without requestor involvement?]

This is an issue for the implementation of the system can be left open as it doesn't effect interopability.
I agree with Nick, lets suggest the values I proposed using MAY so we have some direction to more streamlined error reporting.
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:OutOfServiceHours
The the service is currently not operating.

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:Maintenance
The the service is currently under Maintenance.
""
etc..

[Tommy: Could we combine these two into urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:ServiceUnavailable?]
I don't have a strong opinion about whether there are one or two values for this as these are examples, however I prefer two.
We should also add the following <ResultMajor>
""
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss: 1.0:resultmajor:InsufficientInformation.
The request could not be satisfied due to insufficient information.
""
plus the following <ResultMinor> values.
""
The following <ResultMinor> values is suggest "MAY be"
returned when the <ResultMajor> code is InsufficientInformation.

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:CrlNotAvailiable
The relevant certificate revocation list was not available for checking.

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:OcspNotAvailiable
The relevant revocation information was not available via the online
certificate status protocol.

urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:CertificateChainNotComplete
The chain of trust could not be established binding the public key used
for validation to a trusted root certification authority via potential
intermediate certification authorities.
""
etc ...

[Tommy: I am wondering if the requestor can make much use of this information. Again, I am inclined to think that the service admin should be alterted about these events through a log or some such.]

Again it may be useful for the client administrator but whether this is returned back to the user is an implementation question.
Nevertheless we need to make a clear statement. Like either a), b) or c) ...

a) see above and introduce a third <ResultMajor> value urn:oasis:names:tc:dss: 1.0:resultmajor:InsufficientInformation plus suggested <ResultMinor> values.
Let's probably use the phrase (is suggest "MAY be") here as well.
b) In case of doubt of who is responsible a urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:ResponderError is assumed.
c) In case of doubt of who is responsible a urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultmajor:RequesterError is assumed.
d) ... proposals welcome ...
> [...] Section 4.4 in its entirety.
Assume valid:signature:onAllDocuments remains as is
> [...] remove urn:oasis:names:tc:dss: 1.0:resultminor:valid:signature:OnTransformedDocuments [...]
[Tommy: Makes sense to me.]
Agreed.
So, let us hereby propose to remove this for the telco.
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:valid:signature:HasManifestResults
> The signature is valid with respect to XML Signature core validation.
> In addition, the message also
> contains VerifyManifestResults.
> [...]

What about:
  valid:notAllDocumentsReferenced  - I suggest that this remains
Agreed.
  invalid:referencedDocumentNotPresent - this is not realy a requester error and should be added to this list
I would have thought so as it seems to me to be the clients responsibility to provide all documents, isn't it ?
  invalid:indetermianteKey - I presume that this is replaced with the responder error list above and "invalid" removed
  invalid:untrustedKey - This should remain
I prefer to have invalid removed here too as I don't think a statement about validity is necessary in case of an untrusted key. Validation could even be omitted completely. So how about associating this with a <ResultMajor> RequestorError?
  invalid:IncorrectSignature - Keep but reword as follows
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:invalid:incorrectSignature :  The signature fails to verify, for example due to the signed document being modified or the incorrect key being used.
Agreed.
indetermined:checkOptionalOutput - I presume that this is removed.
Agreed.
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:inappropriate:signature
[...] This should be moved up to section 2.6 and associated with RequesterError.

[Tommy:  OK. With the same name?]
So, let us hereby propose to move this for the telco.

> Section 4.6.2

I presume you mean 4.6.1

> ""
> For example, if a client supplies the optional input
> <VerifyManifests>, then the returned
> <ResultMinor> is
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:valid:hasManifestResults
for positive XMLDSig core validation

[Tommy:  I agree.]
I suggest re-worded:
 if XMLDSig core validation succeeds
Agreed.
> and the
> optional output <VerifyManifestResults> is returned indicating the
> status of the manifest reference
> verification.
> ""
In case of a negative XMLDSig core validation the relevant <ResultMinor>
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:invalid:* is to be returned.

[Tommy: I agree.]

I disagree.  There should be no statement of what other return values may be indicated for the case of other than Valid Signature.  This will depend on the why it failed.  Should not add this.
This is what I intended to say by urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:resultminor:invalid:* .So lets put it this way:
In case of a negative XMLDSig core validation the relevant <ResultMinor> is to be returned indicating why it failed.
> Section 4.6.4
>
> The granularity of the *Detail in <ProcessingDetails> should, in the
> case of a Manifest, be per
> Reference; to reflect this I suggest changing the text on lines 1703
> and 1704 from
>
> ""
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:detail:Manifest
> Whether the manifests in the XML signature verified correctly.
> ""

> ""
> urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:detail:ManifestReference
> Whether a manifest reference in the XML signature verified correctly.
> ""

Agreed.