dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Incorporation of signature timestamp in XML signatures.

Ed,

Thanks for your reply...see intermixed...

ed.shallow@rogers.com wrote:

>Agree on the expedience advantage. One cannot argue that option 1) allows quick handling. But is this the only design objective i.e. to wrap things up ? I guess it is convenient but it now makes the standard asymmetric with regard to signature timestamp handling across CMS and XMLDSIG. If one does not have a problem with this, then I guess we are OK with option 1.

Obviously to wrap things up is not the only design objective...

>But JC's old argument that "If CMS signature timestamp handling is exactly as defined in ES 101 733 or RFC 3126" then why not take them out also. This would preserve symmetry between level of treatment of CMS versus XMLDSIG in the core. The argument for keeping signature timestamps in the core, is that the core deals directly and unequivocally with signatures, and timestamps often come along for the ride or need to be created at the same time. This is why we we forced to get into it. Furthermore we broke new grounds by defining for the first time in the industry an XML representation of a timestamp using XMLDSIG-based signatures (unlike ANSI X9).

I agree with what you say...

>If we are going to endorse XAdES, which is by the way ETSI TS 101 903 and the XML equivalent of ETSI TS 101 733 which is its CMS counterpart, then lets endorse right across the board.
>
>I will admit I argued against blindly endorsing another standard, but perhaps this resurrects the issue. I did not realize that INCOPORATION was a problem. But if we are not going to step up to creating something new, we might as well be consistent in endorsing the exisiting standards in a consistent way. This would mean an option that removes both CMS and XMLDSIG treatment and refers off to ETSI ES standards for both CMS and XMLDSIG signature timestamps. Notice I said ETSI ES 101 733 not RFC3161 which only tangentially covers signature timestamps in an Appendix as an example use-case.

Well, the second alternative was precisely to endorse ETSI TS 101903,
and as we said, we had detected certain reluctances to endorse it in the
core... are you saying that you would prefer to endorse ETSI TS to take
the signature time-stamp in XML format out from the core and put in AdES
profile? I would admit that if this would be the consensus in the group,
I personaly would not have any problems in doing that (and it would be
easy to get the final and aligned text). I guess that then would anyone
in the future appear with new time-stamps formats and/or incorporation
mechanisms this could be dealt with in a new profile....

Juan Carlos