dss message

Subject: Fwd: New time stamping standard by ISO

FYI...

Forwarding a very interesting message from Stefan Santesson at the IETF PKIX list, regarding a new draft ISO timestamping standard, based on RFC 3161, and also containing  a complete XML syntax for timestamping.

Regards

Carlos

----- Original Message -----
From: 'Stefan Santesson'
Sent: Fri Sep 8 19:54

It has come to my attention that ISO is working on a time stamping standard which to a large part is based on RFC 3161 from this group.

Except this, the ISO draft ISO/IEC WD 18014-2.3 (by (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC27) Defines the means to include time stamps in SignerInfo of CMS messages (stand alone or as part of the time stamping protocol). They also provide a complete XML syntax for time stamping.

IR17;m not involved in this work and this is nothing this group can influence directly but I would still see value in getting input from people here on at least one particular change they have made to the ASN.1 syntax.

RFC 3161 defines:

TimeStampToken ::= ContentInfo

-- contentType is id-signedData ([CMS])

-- content is SignedData ([CMS])

Where ISO/IEC WD 18014-2.3 defines:

TimeStampToken ::= CHOICE {

cms ContentInfo,

signerInfo [1] EXPLICIT SignerInfo

-- room for additional formats

}

This seems rather unnecessary as it creates another possible way to form a time stamp response in the time stamping protocol which is just confusing.

Unfortunately the draft document is secret and can not be distributed (and I’m so grateful IETF doesn’t work like that).

Stefan Santesson

Senior Program Manager

Windows Security, Standards

Msg sent via @Mail - http://atmail.com/