dss message

Subject: DSS and effective date of IPR Policy mode transitions

   Hello John.  Obviously any comments from me don't change the
terms of the OASIS IPR Policy language, which speaks for itself.
But I'm happy to share our staff understanding of it with you.  The
policy generally is not designed to have retroactive effects.  Any
obligations or rights that an OASIS member has regarding a committee
draft or specification created *before* the committee's TC
Transition Effective Date [1], and any contributions made before
that date, are governed by the prior (1999) OASIS Policy [2], not
the new one.  One becomes bound by the new policy only after that date.
   That effective date occurs after the completion of a successful
vote and a short waiting period, so members ought to be able to "see
it coming" and take action as they see fit.

Regards  JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

   [1] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_transition_policy.php,
     see section 3(9)
   [2] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/