Subject: Proposal to change TC front page

Team:

Given the current direction of our group, it has been brought to my
attention that the public page, which states:

" The purpose of the TC is to continue work on the ebXML Technical
Architecture to bring it from v1.04 to a more current architecture that
takes into account both subsequent releases of the ebXML specifications
and other Web Services and service-oriented architecture works."

is probably no longer correctly describing what we are doing.

I would propose that we change it to something along the lines of:

" The purpose of the TC is to build upon the work of both ebXML and web
services to develop a formal Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
specification embracing the requirements of global electronic business.
 The architecture will utilize the methodologies of Web Services and
ebXML specifications however remain neutral to prescribing either."

or something to that effect.

The purposes is to reflect that we have become a convergence point of
SOA activity and have a duty to build upon both but like any good
architecture, must not constrain implementations to using either.  I
believe this will have a high degree of value in that the principles of
SOA can be explored for business users and implementers without treading
in political waters.

We can likely define areas where web services has gaps that ebXML covers
and places where convergence may be best suited to bring the two stacks
as close together as possible.  This will likely start with an
architectural convergence (actually more of a reconciliation) since we
cannot normatively prescribe action to any other.

Comments?

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist