Subject: Re: [ebsoa] front page

Joe,

Wow there buddy!

Let's not get this confused about this - you state:

> And these are just 2 examples of several. Given the public support for
> such a path, what are the reasons that it has been abandoned? And do we
> anticipate such work ever being done in another forum?

Nothing could be further from the truth.

If I had to say anything on this - it would be that the WS* 'crew' have
interpreted
this public request as an endorsement of the 'kill ebXML and just absorb any
bits worth salvaging".  See the their PPT submissions to the AIAG task
force on Alignment of ebXML and Webservices.

Now - compare that to the response from the ebXML camp.  We have
actively sought to accommodate WSDL-based exchanges (despite the
fact that WSDL was never designed or intended for eBusiness) - in
both BPSS and ebMS.  And we've made a pretty good job of showing
how WSDL can be used with both these to implement somewhat
useful and business-relevant solutions.

Fortunately Volkswagen and GM both understand the bread-and-butter of
eBusiness and are forging ahead with ebXML as a foundation technology.

I think people have also come to realize that there are fundamental
differences of approach here - between building deterministic business
process definitions that can be shared across industry domains using
open semantic vocabularies and context driven transactions - that
exploit the best of ebXML in tandem with WS* - and building
ad hoc loosely coupled non-deterministic transient WS* exchanges for
internal and some external business system integration exchanges
using local custom interface definitions.

That is why I've not bought into Duane's original suggest of changing
the charter for ebSOA.  To me - its always been about taking the
start point that ebXML 1.04 provides and updating that to leverage
WS* - but absolutely *not* about throwing out the baby with the
bath water.

I've have simply not had time to propose better wording around
this - since other priorities - such as BPSS V2.0 roll-out - and
jCAM integration with Hermes are currently top priorities.

I have however managed to work on a paper which I believe
gives perspective to the needs here :

 http://ebxmlbook.com/Benefits%20of%20ebXML.pdf

Cheers, DW.