Subject: Draft Minutes from F2F

Apologize for the late message.  My OASIS account had been accidentally
deleted and messages I sent through did not get onto the list.

By now most of you have probably read the draft minutes from the face to
face.  Based on the information we have learned since starting this TC,
it is now obvious that before anyone can develop a specialized SOA, a
higher level SOA Reference Model needs to be defined.  No such Reference
Model exists today, therefore, it would be imprudent to continue to work
in our current direction without starting the high level reference
model.  Please review the minutes before reading further.

Since there is limited resources in the TC, the members present at the
F2F decided to focus on the SOA Reference Model first.  Such work is
inconsistent with our charter so we have a hurdle to get over.  OASIS
will help us with that.

There are a number of questions that we do have to consider.

1. Political impact of our decision - It is the intent of the TC that no
SPINS be placed on our decision.  It is a simple decision taken based on
technical knowledge and a pragmatic TC that recognizes and is willing to
face the architectural challenges that are laid out in front of us.  I
personally would hope that no one thinks we are abandoning either ebXML
or web service standards.  That is not the intent.  There is a strong
recognition that an SOA reference model may also help anyone trying to
converge or reconcile those two stacks.

2. We anticipate that the SOA reference model work should be relatively
short and completed within a new TC.  We drafted a new TC charter and
will be working with OASIS to figure out how to start the new TC.  In
the process,  we have to also figure out what course should happen with
this existing TC.  We have a few options:

a. Have members who wish to work on the current charter continue to
develop the existing work under the existing charter.
b. Fold the current TC; or
c. Take a hiatus from activity in the current TC, then revisit it once
the SOA reference model is done.

Any comments or interest on this would be appreciated.

3. What should happen to the work within the TC?  We have a very good
(IMO) reference model for architectural patterns that may be of great
use for others within OASIS and beyond.

Our next meeting is one week from today.  Regular dial in, code is 7263329.

Duane Nickull

--
Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com

ebSOA-TC-Minutes2004-11-19_DRAFT.pdf