Subject: RE: [ebsoa] Does SOA Require Registry-Based Dynamic Discovery?

    In five years I still haven't found an occasion to disagree with anything Yunker says.
    Personal opinion only, purely FYI:

    1.  Few I've heard would limit "SOA" to be limited, necessarily, only to  infinitely extensible architectures that permit unanticipated newcomers to access all services.
    2.  Counterexample:  Some "SOA" may be purely inside a secure  firewall, or close trading community, where all consumers know about all services on offer (or else they're not eligible to get 'em).  Functionally, one might imagine sneaker-net exchange of WSDLs, or ignoring WSDL altogether when no "description" is needed because there is a steady state of finite, known services.
    3.  People are doing that today.  There is a British e-Science community who attends GGF, composed mostly of physicists and radiotelescope jockeys, as an example.  Were you to ask them, they would say "yes, we are using web services".  But you might not see much in their messages that you recognize other than SOAP.  In some cases maybe not even that.  The phrase "I don't see why I need all this bloody stuff" has been uttered more than once in their sessions.
    One could get into debates about the definitions, and which tribal boundaries or best practices are infringed by that behavior, but they are, in fact, sharing and exchanging production scientific data using these methods.
    4.  What John describes as an "open" SOA is one, I think, which has that quality of facilitating unanticipated newcomer consumers and service offers, without the n(n-1) problem.  The added feature is, functionally, an interrogatable external representation of the services in a shared space.  A number of architects and standards organizations would like to canonicalize that resource directory space:  UDDI, ebXML Registry, tote board screens at Caesar's Palace, cave walls at Lascaux, whatever.
    5.  To my view, CPPA mechanics are one method for placing virtuous constraints on such an "open" system, by better defining the who and when and with-what of service availability.  Without which participants cannot meet their business needs.  Other projects (such as the WS-Addressing activity at W3C, seeking to make WSDL useful and more meaningful;  and the work on statefulness from our WSDM TC) also pursue that goal.  I am curious -- but underinformed -- about which of those various constraint methods will be composable.
    Regards JBC