Subject: Re: [ebsoa] events and agents as defined in an ebSOA

Dan,

Thanks for putting this discussion back on the standard track.

I do not think that we have done a satisfactory job in regards to presenting
our solution to David, John and the individuals from OASIS BCM TC. I want to
assure you that our FERA-based ebSOA architectural solution includes all
aspects of the SOA architecture on the level of the specification details
that can be used for enterprise SOA implementations:

- Collaborations (internal and external),
- Security,
- Messaging,
- Protocol profiles and agreements,
- Universal business documents formatting,
- Registry and repository-based management of meta-data and business
artifacts,
- Business rules,
- Agent frameworks

Using the Federated Enterprise Reference Architecture (FERA) reference model
we produced the set of ebSOA specifications needed to provide full
enterprise level SOA support from both a functional as well as
implementational point of view. We think that the missing factor in the
ebSOA architecture is the semantic integration which brings all of the above
aspects together. We have fully defined the FERA-based ebSOA collaboration
semantics that resolves this problem. Our ebSOA collaboration semantics is
also based on the formally defined information model that can be stored in a
standard registry like the OASIS ebXML Registry or OASIS UDDI Registry and
used to take care of both context and content related to any business
process. This is supported by a single open standard-based XML document we
call the Collaborative Process Information Document (CPID) that can be
generated from a business process definition in a visual modeling tool.
Submitting the content of this document to a standard registry will generate
the entire collaboration process information model that together with
FERA-based  ebSOA collaboration semantics already implemented via FERA-based
ebSOA managers (remember all FERA-based managers in ebSOA architecture -
Federation Manager, Agent Interface Manager, Event Manager, Activity
Manager, etc.) enables full open standard-based support for the enterprise
business collaboration processes of any complexity.

Another important aspect of our proposed solution is standard convergence.
We very much believe that standard convergence is the future and in our
architectural solution we reference the best "standard brands" available
today. It does not matter which standard body they are coming from. What
matters is the standard's value in the ebSOA functional offerings. For
example, these are some of the standard components we reference in the
FERA-based ebSOA: OASIS ebXML BP, OASIS WSBPEL, OASIS UBL, OASIS ebXML
Registry, OASIS UDDI, W3C SOAP, OASIS ebXML Messaging, WS-Security, OASIS
XACML, OASIS SAML, WS-Reliability and others.

We also want to mention that two important components of the FERA-based
ebSOA architecture, Agent Framework and Business Rules, are not supported by
any standard today. OMG has two pending Requests For Proposals related to
business rules: Business Semantics of Business Rules and Production Rule
Representation. Our definition of a standard is a specification produced and
approved in a large recognizable standard body like OASIS, W3C, OMG, IEEE,
etc.. Some specification components are coming from groups and programs like
Java Community Process (JCP). While some of them achieved great success over
last few years, we believe that ebSOA specification should reference
standard components first. However, when the standard is not provided we
recommend using other groups' specifications, but on the implementation
level only. We believe that if some industry groups have valued
specification offerings they should be encouraged to submit their spec
proposals to standard bodies and speed up the process of developing very
much needed standards that we do not have today.

I hope that this clarifies key aspects related to our FERA-based ebSOA
proposal and our vision about enterprise SOA.

Regards,
Goran