Subject: RANT: Whitespace is not an issue?

OK - I just need to rant.  I watched hundreds of emails on
the W3C Schema WG on this whitespace.  I struggle when
these document-heads get religious about this stuff!

For me this is as simple as it gets from an eBusiness
stance - if you are designing eBusiness systems and
exchanges that can be broken by whitespace issues -
you need to go back and fix your design!

Also - when it comes down to it - if you are shipping
payloads where format specific information is critical
use CDATA [[ - that's what its there for!

Beyond that - there's a bigger principle that I'd like
to mention - that relates to interoperability and
implementablity of our specifications:

1) BPSS should only rely on W3C schema specific features
    as a last resort.  Basic XML mechanisms should
    be preferred whereever possible.
2) BPSS should strive to use only features of W3C schema
    that are pervasive, simple and widely adopted and
    consistently used.

My rationale is obvious - I want BPSS to not run foul of
any deployment and versioning issues WRT vendors schema
parser implementations.

I'm not sure this latest issue over whitespace
is something we need to spend any more time on than absolutely
necessary.  Maybe a simple design note - to the effect that we
expect people to build business processes where whitespace is
not an issue, and to use XML constructs to resolve ambiguous
information content accordingly.   If they are using BPSS to
control document workflows and whitespace within payloads
is important - then CDATA [[ should be used to remove
any possibility that payloads are manipulated by the transport
layer(s).

Thanks, DW.