Subject: Use case for BPSS long running conversations

Team,

On the IV&I call today a scenario was described that I thought
was useful for us to consider.

I'll describe the scenario first then offer how I think we should
address this - then turn it over to the floor!

So - the IV&I as Serm' outlined last week - is about
streamlining inventory management and integration with IV
products.  The idea is to have a constant stream of msgs
that update on products that are being watched (kinda
event driven model).

So if someone sends out a InventoryStatusCheck request
and lists a bunch of part / product numbers and to various
suppliers - then that initiates the process.

Now each receiver potentially replies multiple times - for
different stock numbers.  So some responses come in
right away - others may come weeks later.

Obviously issue #1 is timeToPerform - how to resolve that?

OK - my thoughts are -

a) John Yunkers notes on when a BPSS starts apply.
b) We could view this as the following:

    Distributor sends out InventoryStatusCheck
    Suppliers respond with ConfirmPartNumbers
     immediately - so TimeToPerform is say P1D,
    that completes the first action in the BPSS.

    Next each supplier initiates the next action in
    the BPSS - but there is a guard condition on this
    that waits until some event or signal indicates
    its ready to go (so its like the idea of a BPSS
    initializing - but here it happens in the middle
    of the BPSS - attached to some action sequence).

    After event occurs (some change in stock status),
    then send distributor stockChangeDetails - and
    the distributor then responds with ContinueStockWatch,
    or EndStockWatch (timetoperform on this could be P1H).

    And so this continues.  Now at some point the distributor
    may send EndStockWatch for the original part/product
    numbers - to close the BPSS completely - that would be
    a fork of course - based on some end-of-process check.

Thoughts?

Thanks, DW