Subject: [ebxml-bp] 2/12/2004: RSD (Early and Late Binding)

Discussion|oais.ebBP;
Topic|Late binding summary;
Point|Lifecycle of a BPSS Instance;
mm1@

Tony Fletcher wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> I would like to return to one of the earlier mails from Anders (sorry
> I seem to have deleted the exact one I was intending to build on -
> could be the one from 5 Jan 04 in the Archive) and try to make a few
> other points.
>
> It seems to me that there is (as I think others have already stated) a
> natural progression of where one can make statements about the values
> of certain parameters of a business interchange, such as a
> TimeToPerform.  Here I am interested in the What and When rather than
> the How.  The How could be by using schema tricks, or by using CAM
> tricks or some other technique we eventually agree on - may be more
> than one according to circumstances.
>
> It seems to me that the progression is as follows:
>
> The contract (UBAC work) can establish the master values or say that
> they are open for determination at a later stage
>
> The Business Process specification (a use of BPSS) can establish
> values, perhaps particularly important for default values.
>
> A CPA can provide agreement to override or establish certain values
> for the uses of a Business Process specification that it governs
>
> Some parameters could be overridden / established at the start of (or
> when first needed) a use of CPA + Business Process specification (an
> instance of use)
>
> Some parameters could be overridden / established at the start of a
> communications session (a long running Business Process specification
> might have several of these with times of inactivity in between).
>
> Finally some parameters could be overridden / established by a
> particular message.
>
> (Note this ordering is for establishing / overriding parameters.  Of
> course in principle a BPSS and CPA may be written in order or
> iteratively, and a contract be written at a later date that references
> them.)
>
> Two points occur to me.  The first is that we need somewhere to agree
> this progression, or some other and exactly what can be overridden /
> needs to be established at each stage.  One possibility is in the
> Technical Architecture.  Another possibility is in the UBAC
> specification.  (A third possibility would be to have the same
> specification in the UBAC, CPP/A, BPSS and Messaging specifications,
> but this has obvious problems of trying to maintain consistency and
> such repetition is usually frowned open and usually only occurs as a
> temporary measure forced by timing of approval or when folk can not
> agree on a single place.)
>
> Secondly, although it seems logical for the things that occur later in
> time to be able to override things that were 'agreed' earlier (hence
> the above suggested ordering of the list), it seems to me that the
> overall contract, the use of the UBAC specification should actually be
> the master document in some sense.  It seems to me that an electronic
> contract (a use of UBAC) should state what can be overridden /
> [...]

mm1: Tony, this mirrors broadly the four BPSS lifecycle categories
discussed and pretty much agreed upon in the teleconference before the
F2F.  I think we have two approaches. First, for the near-term, provide
a mechanism to handle timing parameters (in the context of these
lifecycle categories) for 2.0. Next, look at the overall issue of late
binding in a later version. If I have not captured this for those who
are near and dear to this issue, please chime in.
@mm1