Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Manual Operations in BPSS"

Martin:

The answer to the second part:

martin.me.roberts@bt.com wrote:

>For us in BT we have used forks and joins with names to indicate states.
>This means that we could exchange with our partner through an out of
>band collaboration, where each of our collaborations is.

[DN] Out of band to me means that it is hidden from the path indicated
within the BP declaration.  If so, then according to the BP instance,
there is still one or more "legal" next states to advance to.  If there
is a hidden dependency to complete some unit of work that is not
explicit in the BP instance, then the BP instance must account for the
maximum time delay that may be needed to complete that unit of work.

A fork and join is slightly different.  This would add a requirement
that before a certain state was attained within a BP instance, there are
two dependencies (previous states) that must be reached.  If the fork
happens at State "D", one branch must complete work units F and G and
the other branch must complete work units H and J before the entire
state can be advanced to reach state "L".  Again - this is a requirement
for the BP team to make sure that the final BP specification can produce
instances that can account for this.  BPSS 1.01 did not have this complete.

>  The customer
>could also send us that information.  Depending on who gets there first
>we could replay any transactions or agree to leap to a named state.

[DN] THis sounds like an "OR" approach to reconciling different branches
of a fork rather than an "AND".  The logical operands must be capable of
being expressed in the BP instance.

Duane Nickull

--
Senior Standards Strategist