Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Manual Operations in BPSS"

>Fletcher: Dear Martin Duane and others,

mm1: Forgive my delayed response.

>....To synchronise state one must not only set the communicating protocol
>machines to complementary states (which is what we tend to concentrate on),
>but also align the shared resources (or objects).
>
>And yes I picked up on this from a number of folks including Bob Haugen, it
>is my understanding that it is indeed the central idea of the COOL
>architecture, but it actually goes back to CMIP as Martin mentions, and
>probably way before that too.  In spite of the COOL presentation I am not
>sure that the ideas have been properly worked into the UN/CEFACT documents
>yet though(?)

mm1: Yes to your first and second points here. On these points, several
of us recognize there is a difference between process and object state,
and the object or entity may change state several times when the process
may not be affected. And, vice versa. Some of this has to do with what
state is exposed and available in a shared collaboration environment.

>But the alignment of protocol state and resource / object state certainly
>should be part of BPSS as it goes forward (in my opinion).

mm1: Yes, again. See above.

On Martin's previous point on providing an indication of what state the
process instance is actually in, perhaps we should further discuss this
point to see if a work item is warranted. I encourage others comments.

Reference: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200402/msg00197.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200402/msg00211.html

Thanks.
Thanks.