Subject: [ebBP] 4/5/2004: Production Rules WI-5 [RSD] v2.0 Summary Proposal

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI5-Production Rules;
Topic|;
Attachment|http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200402/msg00061.html;
Point|From production rules to well-formedness rules;

mm1@
In the F2F in February, we discussed this briefly this work item:

Work Item 5-Production Rules: Describe boundaries for production rules
in BPSS. Note: Starts to provide boundaries between what is needed in a
business collaboration and what translates down to the engine.

Important points
 * It's original intent was to support UML to XML transformation.
 * Integrity checking is needed for the XML.
 * Production rules will be replaced with well-formedness rules.

Allocation:
 * v2.0: Document that production rules will be replaced with
well-formedness rules. Gather requirements.
 * v3.0: Define well-formedness rules. Provide in technical
specification and schema.

I would propose that we:
 * Define a summary statement in the v2.0 technical specification about
production rules and their initial and future usage. These production
rules or guidance have existed in ebXML BPSS since v1.01 (1.05, 1.1).
 * Close this work item for v2.0 only.
 * Work will continue in v3.0.

I would encourage your thoughts and we can bring up under Other Business
in tomorrow's meeting.

John (and JJ, Martin), I would encourage your feedback here as you may
have some ideas regarding the well-formedness rules that may apply. Thanks.

@mm1

Point|Need for well-formedness rules;
jey@

This work item should be disposed of easily, the production rules were required because UNCEFACT dictated a UML version of the BPSS content (process model).  The architecture at that point required that the BPSS XML be produced from the UML, hence "production rules".

With that architecture the well-formedness existed in the UML model.  By removing the UML model we remove the requirement for production rules, but also remove the well-formedness (semantic completeness) provided by the UML, hence the need for well-formedness rules.

@jey

Point|Definition of well-formedness rules for v2.0-Summary Proposal;

mm1@
For v2.0, I would propose we use John's note as a baseline for the
summary proposal for closure for v2.0 only.

Statement: In ebXML BPSS v2.0, XML well-formedness rules are required to
ensure semantic completeness.  Prior to this version, production rules
were required so the UML BPSS process model could be effectively
transformed into the BPSS XML.  XML well-formedness rules will be used
to ensure syntactic and semantic completeness for the resulting BPSS
compliant schema and resulting instances.

In the next version, these XML well-formedness rules will be described
in detail after sufficient requirements evaluation and analysis have
been completed. Production rules guidelines have existed in ebXML BPSS
since v1.01. These can be used to start our evaluation on what other XML
well-formedness rules are required to assist our user community.
@mm1