Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] State Alignment and Web Services

1) I believe we have added an additional status of 'pending'.
The idea being that you may use a signal to note that
some downstream processing has been initiated, and
that a complete response will be sent later.  This allows
your partner to know that the initiating transaction
was received, and was understood - but that further
processing must occur before a final response happens.
This is obviously important in multi-party collaborations,
or when using downstream webservices.
The difference between a signal and a transaction in
this case - is that the signal is informationary - and not
legally binding - as a transaction could be construed
to be.
<JJ>I am not aware of a "pending" signal. How different would it be from
a RecceiptAck? What you are suggesting is the meaning we associated to
receipt ack already</JJ>

2) A signal may occur as a result of some closing
    condition - either succeed or fail - and is therefore
    not necessarily associated directly with an initiating
    transaction within a BTA - and again - is indicating
    some terminal boundary condition (usually a failure)
    that cannot be easily done with a formal legal
    transaction.  Or a signal may indicate success in
    some intermediate step - that shows that progress
    is continuing toward a formal outcome -
    eg CreditVerifiedOK, then a subsequent step will
    see if services can be found to fulfil the request.
<JJ>I am not sure I understand your point here, could you rephrase it or
expand it?</JJ>

<JJ>We are adding the notion of notification of failure as standard BT
such that we can get extra confirmation of failure condition, this would
be typically used on communication failure during a regular BTA. The NoF
will have to be choreographed into the collaboration, it will not be
sent automatically based on a given condition</JJ>

Hope that helps.

DW