Subject: [ebBP] 11/3/2004: Summary of Policy Changes

ebBP TC Summary of OASIS Changes:
As indicated, I have provided a brief summary for TC review given the
multiple changes in work at OASIS. Note your comments are encouraged on
the draft OASIS TC process and naming guidelines. Thank you.

DRAFT OASIS TC Process
====================
COMMENT PERIOD OPEN TO 10 NOVEMBER 2004
The TC process includes changes for:

    * Member names and capabilities
    * Specifications and voting requirements
    * Voting percentages and criteria
    * TC resources
    * Document formats

A draft of the revised TC Process document approved for member review by
the Board is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/9623/TC%20Process%2020041007.pdf.

A document summarizing the changes from the current Process is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/9621/Process%20revision%20summary.pdf

Please send your comments in regards to these proposed changes to
tcproc-member-review@lists.oasis-open.org by 10 November, so that the
Board can consider your comments, make changes to this draft, and have
the Process document ready to be effective at the same time as the new
IPR Policy.

OASIS IPR Policy and Transition Policy
===========================
We've seen this on our list and briefly discussed in the teleconferences.

Announcement:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html

Per Scott McGrath in announcement:

The new OASIS IPR Policy addresses issues such as:
* Clarifying process and policy ambiguities;
* Clarifying member obligations to the OASIS policies;
* Clarifying eligibility rules for Individual Members;
* Establishing clear licensing commitments and royalty terms for
participants in each Technical Committee;
* Requiring that licenses be available to implement OASIS Standards and
specifications;
* Providing a range of licensing modes for TCs appropriate for the breadth
of OASIS membership and topics under development; and
* Ensuring that appropriate licenses are in place for member prototyping.

Document references are:

* Draft revised OASIS IPR Policy:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7515/
IPR%20Policy-%20Mem%85ne%2025%2C%202004.pdf
* Transition Policy:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7514/
IPR%20Transition%20%85%202004%2006%2025.pdf
* Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7554/
IPR%20Policy%20FAQ.pdf

DRAFT Naming Guidelines
Note updates on naming conventions for documents including examples,
schemas, etc.
Please provide any comments to Dale Moberg and myself as these have been
distributed to the TC chairs.