Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] ebBP/IIC 3/10/2006: ebBP Draft Working Profile from IIC - Review

Just an observation more than comment as such
Where there is mention of BeginsWhen, etc (e.g. page 7)

"BeginsWhen" Triggers

[Event external to this activity that causes the activity to commence. For example, an invoice is generated when an Advanced Ship Notice is sent]

For example, when a product is delivered, the invoice is generated.

shouldn't there be care to distinguish (perhaps not just a matter for this
spec) private from public trigger events. The example here is delivery
of the product but I would suggest that the example * might * be a bit
misleading. Shouldn't it be that a trigger is only ever an event which is
equally visible to both (or all) parties? It does say 'Event external' but the
example is a delivery which the delivering party and receiving party see
differently. I'd like a clearer guideline that triggers should be events
defined as visible elsewhere in a business definition (perhaps 3.0 could
specify some use of ID/IDREF for this). In that case the first example
is OK 'when an Advanced Ship Notice is sent' - this is an external event,
but the second could be private and not visible, 'when a product is delivered'
- it would only be made visible by some other resulting event such as
a ReceiptAdvice being sent to signal delivery or an Advanced Ship Notice
being sent to signal despatch.

All the best

Steve