Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-negot] "Context"

I do hope that that some use cases
are provided for what Context is and does.

So far, it seems to be something like an
EDI implementation guide, possibly generalized
so that it transforms off-the-shelf data elements
(core components) into "localized" data elements,
where localization pertains to some identified
aspect of collaboration. But what are the range
of these customizations? Does it include:
natural language, currency, tariffs, taxation,
date formats, addressing variants, phone numbers
and so on. And how is it implemented? As an XSL transform
over pre-defined core components? If so, how do the
transforms compose/layer (any order dependencies),
any constraints on replacements, etc, etc.

Also, is there any real difference between
multiplying number of transforms applied versus
multiplying number of core components? You can
shift the complexity from one place to another,
but it is going to pop up somewhere or other (tm).

Finally, while I could see something like an DocumentPA
for handling the resulting agreements on how
the final business document is to be composed
from core components and applications of transforms,
should we even attempt to accomodate _that_
negotiation process within our scope?
I would imagine that the distinction
between minor adjustment of values versus
major structural change that we may try to
analyze would not be the same for negotiation
of business documents as for CPAs. And we
have not even succeeded for CPAs which is something
for which we do have a scope defined.

My personal preference would be
to define a specific negotiation
process that can be seen to have "quick"
convergence characteristics (either to proposed
CPA, no CPA possible without modifying
exisiting software, or human intervention
required) and have it work for CPPs and
CPA templates. If the result applies to some
other area, fine. If not, then the other area
will have to define their negot. process.
In other words, I think a premature craving for
excessive generality in this area is
a potential pitfall to be avoided in our subgroup.

Dale Moberg