Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Message Content Update based on last conf call

Hi Bob,

One "meta-requirement" on CPA negotiation
is that the semi-automated negotiation process converge
rapidly either by failing (and throwing
the process up to humans for resolution)
or succeeding (for the parameters marked
negotiable in a NDD, which iconstrains
what is up for debate). One phenomena
we wish to avoid in the semi-automated "dumb"
negotiation is one in which the sides
just iterate back and forth endlessly
in a "RSA-SHA1" "DSA-MD5" loop (you
can add some other dimensions of
oscillation, and backtracking, if you want to make
the failure to converge less obvious).

By starting a new transaction, we retain
no history and we do not really have a chance
to switch "sides" on who is constructing
the initial proposal and whose NDD governs
the search for acceptable parameter values.

The Simple Negotiation process builds in no assurance that
each side has a chance to let its NDD and
its draft CPAs come up for consideration.
There are also some "race" conditions that
others can discuss.

The upshot is that the Simple process seems
a bit too simple
to have the desired behavior.

One drawback to the way we are thinking
of things now is that one can respond to
a "request" with another "request," which is
probably outside the current request-response
pattern. We are still seeking BPSS advice on
this situation. Meeting is Wednesday if you
want to help!

Dale Moberg