Subject: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Re: Negotiation pattern, transactions, CPPA

From: Martin W Sachs
> The race condition issue is simply this:  Some protocols might get to
> point where the two parties, more or less simultaneously, send request
> messages to each other.  The two requests might be conflicting
proposals
> for some particular aspect of the CPPA being negotiated.  It that
point, it
> may not be clear whose proposal takes precedence.  That in turn could
lead
> to conflicting responses, at which point the state of the draft CPPA
might
> be unclear.

1. How is this different from the situation where two parties,
more or less simultaneously, kick off the initial request
messages to each other?

2. I think of the negotiation pattern as a game, where
the trading partners take turns.  Strictly.  When I send
you an offer, you must respond with either acceptance,
rejection or counter-pending.  You cannot send a counter-
offer without first sending the counter-pending response
and receiving my ack.  Etc.

3. If that is too strict for you (you really want to allow
anybody to make an offer at any time in the collaboration)
then:  if you use the transaction protocol, each offer starts
a separate transaction.  It's the same as #1 above.
(But I wouldn't do that...)

What am I missing?

-Bob Haugen