Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Re: Negotiation pattern, transactions, CPPA

I think we should consider, for our purposes,
using a counter-pending response to synchronize
the conversation, but also allow:

1. a flag to indicate that the original proposal (the one this counter
   is a counter to) is not rejected;
   also, that a separate reject or accept on that is still pending.

    The flag could also indicate firm rejection in the sense that
    this can't work. I think we want to have an error if a firmly
rejected
    proposal gets offered again, unlike with humans.

(and as a useful optimization)

2. packaging this counter-pending response with the new request
providing the proposal (plus NDD if needed)
   --to cut down on message traffic,
   --to keep related messages "together"

I assume that this optimization could be handled at the message
packaging layer
and need not be reflected in the "logical" description. That may help
map
the process into the Request-Response pattern of BPSS.

I am still curious about using the "nesting" of transactions for our
purposes
as Pallavi brought up. Not sure if it buys us a lot, but it might be
useful
for case 1 above, when the flag is "notRejected" ("stillBeingRanked"?)

I do not think we need to be required to capture every feature of human
negotiation in a CPA "negotiation" process. CPA negotiation is not
nearly as nuanced as human agreement/contract negotiation and it does
not seem
critical to me to adhere to the human patterns in these mostly automated
processes. In particular, the rejection semantics should be strong in an
automated process and not just a tactical maneuver. I think it will be
more
complicated to automate otherwise.