Subject: [ebxml-cppa] FW: How is Registry using OASIS NID

Hi,

I am forwarding Nikola's message to the CPPA list discussing
Registry's use of URNs for their namespace's identifying
URI.

Please comment on this if you think our TC should
log an issue concerning namespace URI identification
and schema location conventions.

Since Messaging is using a resolvable URL for their
URI, we have different conventions being used for
namespace identification and schemaLocation within
OASIS ebXML groups. (I believe that Messaging has
just removed the "schemaLocation" discussion from
their specification 2.0c also. So that would be another
difference from what Registry has done, and what
we now do.)

It is not clear to me that there is any "issue" to be
resolved because both Messaging and Registry make use
of permitted conventions and use syntactially allowed values.
I think this is probably the case with what we have
currently done also.

Here are some assumptions I am laboring under:

1. The namespace URI can be a resolvable
URI or an unresolvable URI; no standard mandates its use as
a place to find a schema, or, more specifically, a w3c schema.
So URNs can be used. But so can resolvable URLs, that resolve
(by HTTP GET) to a schema.

2. In practice, when a namespace begins with "http://"
it is often treated as resolvable, and also to a w3c style schema.

Some have argued that this is neither Best Current Practice,
and should be replaced by entirely new approaches.
See, for example, http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/
and an abundance of traffic archived at xml.com.
But there is no clear verdict or consensus about
these dissatisfactions and proposals that I can discern.

3. The schemaLocation attribute does not have to be used,
and it is not the definitive resolvable URI for a w3c schema.
CPPA uses it, but schemaLocation has the same value as the URI for the
namespace. See the section in the XML schema spec (structures) on
"Schema Representation Constraint:
Schema Document Location Strategy"
to see what is definitely specified about
how to specify schema document location :-)