Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPPA version 1.10

Christopher Ferris wrote:

> That isn't the point. The point shouldn't be to identify a registry
> like DUNS that everyone can, should or must use, it should rather be to
> provide a means that an identifier can be used and mutually understood
> without requiring a centralized process or registry.

Chris:

I think that is what I said too.  It is for identifying a party
uniquely.  No need to look anything up in a registry.  The concern I
pointed out is that if DUNS were the only choice, it would eliminate
many companies hwo are not able to get a DUNS number.  I think we all
agree to that too.

> A URI provides this capability, that is its purpose. If I had
> my druthers, I'd prefer to see that there were no 'type' attribute
> but that the value be required to be a URI.

That would be acceptable for now becuase it meets all the requirement of
that element.

> > 1. It can globally, uniquely identify a company
>
> why limit to a company?

Change to "Uniquely identify a party" or whatever the term is today.

> Or just an adopted URN namespace e.g. urn:www.ssa.gov:ein:123456789 or
> urn:www.ssa.gov:ssn:123456789. The namespace becomes the qualifier for
> the raw ssn or ein number which is managed by the authority that owns
> the URN namespace (in this case, the entity www.ssa.gov which is the
> US Social Security Administration). (note that I'm unclear as to
> whether the SSA assigns EINs or if this is maybe a function of the
> IRS)
>
> The whole point here is that there not need to be a *single*
> central authority for the identifiers, but that those authorities
> that are already in place merely ask for a URN namespace that
> can be applied to their existing identifiers so as to fully
> qualify them so that it can be globally recognized and we can
> end this never-ending debate (which has resurfaced more times
> in the context of ebXML than I care to recall!)

I think we are saying the same thing.

Duane
--
CTO, XML Global Technologies