Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] UPDATED: EncryptionAlgorithm element underTransportSecurityProtocol

OK to Pete's rewording of last sentence. Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Wenzel [mailto:pete@seebeyond.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 11:50 AM
To: Dale Moberg
Cc: Cppa (E-mail); Tony Weida (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] UPDATED: EncryptionAlgorithm element under
TransportSecurityProtocol

Thus spoke Dale Moberg (dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com) on Fri, Mar 29,
2002 at 10:48:05AM -0700:

> Pete,
>
> Here is my amended text for the entry about EncryptionAlgorithm
> that incorporate sample values for cipher suites.
> ========suggested language==============================
> 8.4.28.1 EncryptionAlgorithm
>
> Zero or more EncryptionAlgorithm elements may be included under the
> TransportSecurityProtocol element. Multiple elements are
> of more use in a CPP context, to announce capability or
> preferences; normally, a CPA will contain the agreed upon
> context. When zero elements are present in a CPA, whatever outcome
> the TransportSecurityProtocol handshake decides,
> is what the parties in effect agree upon.

Since the CPA can have more than one also, I suggest rewording the
last sentence: "When zero or more than one element is present in a
CPA, the parties agree to allow the TransportSecurityProtocol's
automatic negotiation capability to determine the actual algorithm
used."

> The elements' ordering will reflect the preference
> for algorithms. A primary reason for including this element is to
permit
> use of the minimumStrength attribute; a large value for this
> attribute can indicate that a high encrytion strength
> is desired or has been agreed upon for the TransportSecurityProtocol.
>
> See section 8.4.48 for the full description
> of this element.
>
> For SSL and TLS, it is customary to specify cipher suite values
> under the EncryptionAlgorithm element. These values include:
> SSL_RSA_FIPS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
> SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5,
> SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,
> SSL_DH_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
and
> so on. Consult the original specifications for enumerations
> and discussions of these values.

That's what I had in mind, thanks.

--Pete
Pete Wenzel <pete@seebeyond.com>