Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] How to allow/disallow self-signed certificates?

Hi David,

BTW this "how to enable self-signed certificates" is not exclusive for
SSL but is also the case for encryption and digital signatures
configuration.

I think one aspect is how you interpret the CPA.

A)

For example if I have a list of trusted root certificates I could argue
that no matter what certificate my partner uses, as long as it is signed
bye one of those trusted certificates I am fine.

-> I think this is not true for the CPA because we also agreed which
exact certificate the server MUST use and strict interpretation would
invalidate the CPA.

B)

BUT I can also argue that in the CPA we have a) the list of trusted
certificates BUT b) also the explicitly selected certificate for the
server (in an SSL example). So if my tool is strict I will not allow the
other server to present just about any certificate that is signed by one
of my trusted root certificates but it also requires the other server to
present the exact one certificate he (the partner) listed in the CPA.

>From the CPA XML schema:

o the "ServerCertificateRef" (server SSL certificate) element is for
example mandatory. Party A side
o there can be 0 TrustAnchors in a SecurityDetails element. Party B
side.

So in one case there could be no TrustAnchors but the required
ServerCertificateRef.

What does the absence of TrustAnchors mean?

o anything goes, anything is fine? or
o I do not trust you at all, no matter what certificate you have. -> an
empty TrustAnchor would then seem useless in a CPA.

Clearly to allow self-signed certificates the partners certificate must
be listed in the list of trusted certficiates as a self-signed
certificate is signed by itself.

I think one good use case of the trusted certificates is the one in a
CPA formation process, eg prior the ebXML CPA is created. Then it is
important whether a tool shall allow to add another partners self-signed
certificate to the trusted certificates or not ... a security person
probably would say no "simply" because it makes the whole thing easier
to setup with self-signed certs is no argument to change security
policy. So when creating a CPA we can have a rule that my partners
certificate must valid in respect to my TrustAnchors and the same for my
certificate that it must respect my partners TrustAnchors. Otherwise
such a CPA formation tool should not create the CPA because it is
invalid regarding these considerations.

Too bad there is no real ebXML CPPA interop done. Such an interop would
look at how an ebXML Messaging System that has CPA support deals with
different CPA's. Soon I will some time to check Korbits CPA interop
support to see how far they have gone.

Two things I will take home from this:

o to list my a parties own certificates in one of its TrustAnchor seems
useless. Maybe I used to put them because the TrustAnchor element cannot
be empty but I missed that the TrustAnchor element itself is optional.
o to enable self-signed certificates I will stick the other parties
certificate into my TrustAnchor and vice versa.

Sacha