Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] More COmments on TestCase material...

Jacques and all,

    Attached is the latest iteration of the ebXML Abstract Test Suite,
with changes reflecting this week's comments.  Changes include:

1) Change of URN to  'testcase' , not 'semreq'

2) SetMessage now changed to 'PutMessage'

3) Kept 'Party' column, to reflect possibility that a party other than the
test driver
will be observable in the future.

4) Change 'XPath Expression' column heading to 'Test Message Expression'

5) Changed comparison operator in Test Message Expression from "="  to "=="
for clarity

6) Separated "Verification" steps from "Correlation", "Put" and "Get" steps

7) Based upon discussion with Jacques and Monica this past week,
I changed ErrorStatus names to either "FatalPrecondition" ( any test step
other than a conformance test step),
'FatalTest' ( a step status result where conformance verification takes
place ) or FatalOption ( a test step that tests
an "optional" feature).   It is assumed that the implementation of these
three status results could be further broken down at run time into:

FatalPrecondition.system  ( send/receive or other system failure for the step )
FatalPrecondition.notApplicable (undetermined or normal failure of test step)
FatalOption.system (send/receive or other system failure for the optional
feature test step)
FatalOption.notApplicable (undetermined or normal failure of the optional
feature test step )
FatalTest.system  ( send/receive or other system failure for the
conformance test step )
FatalTest ( conformance test failure for the conformance test step )

I also sent Jeff Turpin an example XML Schema diagram illustrating how we
could manipulate test message MIME headers
using XML declarative syntax.

Another possible point for discussion at the Monday conference call is
actual implementation of a Test Harness, and the mechanism(s) that we might
use for
message template manipulation.  Modified XPath, XUpdate and a message
template language ( such as XSLT ) are three possible
candidate technologies that could be used.  I have not seen any modified
XPath implementations for updating XML document templates.
I have seen open source XUpdate implementations.  I have also seen XSLT
implementation of a template language would be
easy to implement. I believe that an MS test driver does not necessarily
have to only use only one of these technologies. It could be that a
"template language"
is the best way to implement MS testing... but XUpdate may be a better way
to do Registry/Repository testing

Your comments are welcome,

Mike