Subject: JC call this Wed 7th, and previous minutes

Title: JC call this Wed 7th, and previous minutes

All:

Reminder next call.
Can we get more input on the interest for a member section?

Time: Wed, April 7,  9am-10am PT
Host: Fujitsu
Toll only : 1-512-225-3050
Participant code: 465992#
Agenda so far (please let me know if additions):

1- Marketing ebXML: follow-up.
- What specific promotional activities we can take on with companies resources today (see last minutes)
- ebXML member section? status.

2- ebXML TC Coordination / Architecture strategy:
- role of ebSOA here (descriptive vs prescriptive architecture?)
- who does what (ebSOA, JC, IIC, Marketing)

4- Versioning and compatibility matrix
- update
- should we delegate at some point to ebSOA?

3- OASIS symposium update

Regards,
Jacques
<<ebxml-jc_minutes-Telecon-March-24-04.txt>>

Time: Wed, March 24, 9am PT
Host: Fujitsu
Toll only : 1-512-225-3050
Participant code: 465992#
Agenda so far (please let me know if additions):
1- Marketing ebXML: update
2- ebXML TC Coordination / Architecture strategy: who does what (ebSOA, JC, IIC, Marketing)
3- OASIS symposium
4- Versioning and compatibility matrix
Present:

Dale,
Monica,
Ian,
Kathryn,
Jacques,
Jamie,
Karl

1- Marketing ebXML: update

- a marketing TC vs a member section? Ian made the point that no-budget marketing has not worked in the past.
Companies would join voluntarily, 40% of their dues would go to the section (overall, total dues they pay
is the same). Steering committee responsible for using this budget. The member section would replace the JC.
- Action Item: We will investigate what kind of committement our members' companies are ready to do for this, and
also outline what expenses would this budget be for.
- Kathryn: would be tough for Boeing to commit 40%. They already commit (CGN Open).
- But many companies have interest in ebXML.
- Karl: 40% is fixed, cannot adjust. However, if the company already is part of another member section,
its 40% would be split (40% is a max)
- Any other way to structure ebXML support? a marketing TC could coordinate donations in kind
from member companies.
- Karl: OASIS only has technical committees so far, no marketing coms. Would require some kind
of broadening of OASIS charter. We have the JC, though it is for coordination, not promotional work.
- Note that OASIS already commits resources for ebXML (5 TCs over total of about 60)
- we can however contribute marketing resources without this budget already:
. white paper (Dale). Dale propses to adapt good paper from Monica.
. Also, Web site ebXML.org could be updated / maintained by a marketing group from member companies.
. POCs and demo reuses (see for Registry, eHealth Services)
. leverage ebSOA
. XML 2004 / IDEAlliance (Europe): still an ebXML track if we want to.
- ISO: a Gal assembly this summer, will have 1-day program that we could use.
- next XML 2004 in US, November: call for papers open.

2- ebXML TC Coordination / Architecture strategy: who does what (ebSOA, JC, IIC, Marketing)
- ebSOA will produce an architecture doc, and integration schemes with WS. (isn't its charter too broad?)
- will not be prescriptive [ to other TCs], but descriptive in its recommendations.
- A descriptive approach would lead to some form of "profiling" of how to use and combine ebXML specs.
- What are the roles of other "joint" TCs?
. IIC has its hands full with test suites, tset framework, can't really initiate integration guidelines.
(closest we go is provide templates for "deployment guidelines" that are specific to user communities.)
. when ebSOA has issues that require other TCs coordination, can bring it to the JC which would
coordinate with TCs.

3- OASIS symposium
- no updates. Notice that there is a transaction session that we should attend.

4- Versioning and compatibility matrix
- the ebSOA in its first conf call, mentioned a work item on version management.
Jacques mentioned he is willing to provide version and compatibility draft currently
initiated in JC. We have to determine if that piece of work is more relevant to ebSOA,
which seems the case (JC has enough issues to deal with), yet any coordination work
entailed by this would fall under JC.