Subject: draft M&A TC charter was Re: FW: [ebxml-jc] call this Wednesday

Let me suggest a few changes for the draft charter proposed by Jamie.

> PURPOSE & SCOPE

These need to be two separate sections. In addition, the Statement of
Purpose must include the problem to be solved, and the Scope must
include a defintion of what is in and out of scope for the TC.

The scope may need to include fundraising, i.e. the solicitation of
funds and other resources to accomplish the activities identified by the TC.

> The TC may elect to submit appropriate work product for approval as Committee Drafts, and in some cases for balloting by OASIS membership for OASIS standard status, pursuant to the OASIS TC Process.

As I suggested on the concall today, I don't know that a marketing TC
would be producing anything to be placed on the OASIS approval track.
Certainly the TC would want to be able to approve its own work, but I
seriously doubt that it would produce any specs that would be submitted
to the OASIS membership for consideration as an OASIS Standard.

> List of Deliverables

As I stated on the concall, this section must still comply with the
requirements of the TC Proces in that it must list what the TC will be
working on, with completion dates, though we would probably want to
leave this somewhat vague to allow the TC to identify needs over time.
Deliverables should reflect the Statement of Purpose, and fall within
the Scope. Of course additional deliverables may be added to the TC's
charter later as long as they conform to the TC's scope, but this
requires a 2/3 vote of the TC membership.

The list of four items suggested by Jamie is good. I would suggest
adding additional items along the lines of

* develop conference programs and presentations, interoperability demos,
etc.
* identify needs for e.g. conformance tests, implementation guidelines,
bestpractices, etc. that would promote the adoption of the ebXML
specification, and communicate these needs to the other ebXML TCs for
them to create solutions for.

> Language
> English. The TC may elect to form subcommittees that will produce localized documentation of the TC's work in additional languages.

Let's just leave it as "English". While the TC could always later on add
a localization SC, identifying this as an up front task vastly increases
the size of the work that the TC has identified for itself. Perhaps
instead add to the list of deliverables that the various deliverables
will be localized when the TC sees the advantage of doing so and can
find the resources.

> OTHER WORK
> As appropriate, the ebXML M&A TC will collaborate with other relevant OASIS TCs, such as the ebXML BP, ebXML CPPA, ebXML MSG, ebXML IIC and ebXML Registry committees, the ebSOA TC and such other SOA and web services TCs as may find ebXML relevant to their work.  The ebXML M&A TC will also work to align with relevant efforts of other organizations, such as RosettaNet, the Open Applications Group Inc. (OAGI) and the United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and eBusiness (UN/CEFACT) organization.  Organizations developing or promoting ebXML methodologies will be invited to participate subject to OASIS rules.

Add that the TC will apply for membership in the ebXML JC, and will use
the JC to coordniate efforts with the other OASIS ebXML TCs.

-Karl