Subject: RE: [ebxml-jc] JC meeting on Monday

Hello Kathryn,

That's a good idea.

One topic I would welcome feedback on, is the discussion in the OASIS DSS TC
about supporting ebXML.
DSS defines a server-based protocol for requesting and verifying signatures
on electronic documents.
The scope is not message-level security (as provided by WS-Security) but
rather document-level security, looking at issues like long-term signatures
that (depending on context and legal context) need to be verified many years
after the document has been transferred.  Examples include invoices, court
filings, official documents etc. Nick Pope has written a draft requirements
document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss-x/document.php?document_id=
25293

The first section discusses using ebXML Messaging as the transport protocol
for the DSS protocol itself, which would be an application of ebXML that
uses some of its capabilities.  Perhaps more interesting is the second
section which describes a "signature gateway" function.  DSS 1.0 already has
a similar profile, and the discussion could be how to specify similar
functionality when the document is exchanged using ebXML Messaging.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dss/v1.0/oasis-dss-profiles-SignatureGateway-spec
-v1.0-os.pdf

Pim