Subject: RE: PIP IDs

David,

I do not think that any illustrative remarks Marty might
have provided about how a MSH
might store its configuration data  forms a
basis for showing some technical shortcoming
in CPPs or CPAs.

The essential point is that the CPP and CPA schemas define
standardized patterns to exchange(!) collaboration protocol
profiles and agreements. The internal or distributed "storage"
of that information (along with other configuration information
the MSH will need) is not something we are specifying. So
the alternative storage options you raise
are irrelevant to the basic purpose
of CPPs and CPAs-- which is the specification of standardized
ways to exchange information about collaboration protocols.
This standardization is hoped to be one step in a continuing
effort to make configuration of collaborations more automated
and less onerous (less costly) for IS departments.

Likewise, while we do in effect insist that there be one
"primary key" to a collaboration profile record in its internal
representation (whatever that might be) which is, of
course, the cpaid, we do not assert that the cpaid is the only
primary key, or even that the cpaid is the primary key
that any MSH must use as a primary key
in its implementation.

So I do not believe that your point that we are somehow constraining
software implementations is one that has a very substantial foundation.

There may be reasons to not be interested in trying to make
peer-to-peer collaboration configuration easier. One would be that
you are interested in alternative non peer-to-peer architectures based
on "nanny intermediaries." That might explain a lack of interest
in CPPs and CPAs, though I think even nanny architectures will
ultimately
benefit from things similar to CPPs and CPAs, such as the descendents
of WSDL, or the joint offspring of our pioneer CPPA and WSDL ancestors.
But I do not think that your lack of interest in such technologies
should be regarded as a technical problem to solve by those of us who
are interested in pursuing these technologies.

Dale Moberg