Subject: Re: RM - Definition needed!

The definition also needs a statement about non-delivery. A guaranteed
delivery-failure notification shall be delivered (in some unspecified
manner) by the From MSH to the From application if the permitted number of
retries are exhausted without receiving an acknowledgment by the To MSH
that it has received and persisted the message for processing by the
application.  The guaranteed delivery-failure notification is an essential
part of reliable messaging because it removes any doubt about whether the
To party did or did not receive the message in the case where the From
application has not received a response from the To application.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center