Subject: Re: T2 Should end-to-end retries be supported in v 1.1 or 2.0?

I fundamentally disagree that we need to support end-to-end
retries over and above adjacent node retries/reliability for 1.1.

If we simply state in the spec what I believe we all understood, that
the deliverySemantics of OnceAndOnly once applies to *all* hops in
a message exchange between parties. Add to this, the change that
Marty has proposed that an MSH SHALL send a DFN to the From Party
in the event that it is unable to safely deliver the message to
the next MSH in the message path (or the application for that matter)
and I think we've covered the bases.

These changes ensure that once a message has
been safely received by an MSH node in the message path, that that
node SHALL assume responsibility for reliably transferring the message
to the next MSH node in the message path or, in the event that
the message is determined by that MSH as unable to be reliably forwarded,
send a DFN (reliably) to the From Party.

If the From Party wants a DR, it should simply ask for it as provided
in 1.0.

If we also specify that a DR SHOULD (or SHALL) be reliably delivered
I think that pretty much satisfies reliable delivery. Any failure
that is reported (or failure to receive a DR) needs way more than
a simple (or rather, given the proposal, complex) end-to-end retry
IMO... It is indicative of *serious* problems that probably need
to be resolved external to the systems that no manner of subsequent
retry will solve.

Additionally, this proposal (should the majority deem it prudent
to pursue) needs CAREFUL consideration as to what impact this has on
processing intermediaries. If the intermediaries were merely
and exclusively routing intermediaries, then that might be one
thing. However, I don't believe for a minute that C1 and Ariba
consider themselves as mere routers.

Let's keep it simple. Adding in the complexity of end-to-end
retries is a matter that needs to be carefully weighed against
the stated goals and mantras of the ebXML TR&P project (KISS).

Cheers,

Chris