Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg]

David,

First of all, the sending MSH does care about the interval.  RetryInterval
was invented on the assumption that people would set it long enough so that
a transient condition that might have caused the message to be lost might
have a chance to correct itself before the retry.

We don't say anything about the time to the first retry - that's the
problem.  The timeout that the MSH uses is an implementation matter and
isn't specified.  RetryInterval might be longer or shorter than that
timeout.  If RetryInterval is shorter than the timeout, the timeout
controls; if RetryInterval is longer, RetryInterval controls.  However in
any case, we don't say what determines the time to the first retry.

Now that we understand that TimeToLive can be processed without using
RetryInterval, the initial time to retry is a non-issue for TimeToLive.
However, I had submitted an issue about the initial time to retry with
regard to calculating the time to decide that a delivery failure has
occurred.  I believe that that issue is still open.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center