Subject: Re: Schema-Specification normative preference wasRE:[ebxml-msg]Issue73:http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelopenamespace

Dale Moberg wrote:

> I do not understand where David's implication
> was drawn from. Certainly having a schemaLocation
> for a schema does not necessarily mean that there
> are no local caches. There are also nowadays some high
> availability, fault tolerant, redundant, failover, load balancing
> systems.

While that is possible,  it also depends on what you are counting on the
schemalocation for.  If all trading partners who start using ebXML MUST
download the schema definitions from that location, then the entire
implementation phase is dependent on one point. This is clearly
unacceptable.

I suspect that simply having a namespace to avoid conflict of element
and attroibute names is sufficient but I may be wrong.  My apologies if
I have missed that part of the discussion.

I would advocate that the designers of the specification who are telling
us they are relying on resolving that schemaLocation attribute shoudl
analyze exactly what functionality they need from the schemaLocation and
see if it can;t be accomplished without creating this one focal point.
The original author of the complaint hinted that they are having this
problem.

> This means that though there is one URL,
> there need not be, in any pejorative sense, "a single
> point of failure". A system backup is also possible.
> DNS IP pools for the host, parallel live systems
> running in sealed tunnels in Colorado, etc.

True - DNS uses a primary and secondairy nameserver however,  my
question is "Does this need to be resolved in the first place".  I don;t
know the answer.  I am merely posing the question.

> What does any of this have to do with updating
> a schema as a work-around for an interop. problem
> arising from a discrepancy between normative words in a
> specification and the normative schema of that
> specification.

I have not the slightest idea here....

Duane Nickull

--