Subject: [ebxml-msg] issue 19

The CPPA negotiation subteam has a draft CPA for the negotiation process.
It supports the negotiation BPSS instance that this subteam has developed.

A draft of the negotiation specification has been posted to the
ebxml-cppa-negot list and can be reviewed in its archive.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      Doug Bunting
                      <db134722@iplanet        To:       "Jones, Ian" <ian.c.jones@bt.com>
                      .com>                    cc:       ebXML Messaging <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                               Subject:  [ebxml-msg] Updated requirements list for your perusal
                      10/25/2002 07:28
                      PM

Ian,

Please find attached my relatively quick edits of the Requirements list
presently on our site [1].  I would appreciate this becoming available
on our site since the current version does not reflect any of our recent
progress (go team!) on prioritization.

All,

This effort does not include a detailed check against the minutes Ian
recently provided [2] and may disagree with your memories.  Please let
the list know of any such problems.  I'm not signing up to own this page
going forward.

thanx,
    doug

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/documents/requirements.html

[2]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/minutes/MiamiMeeting_10_2002.htm

ebXML Requirements List 10 October 2002

The following table contains all the requirements currently identified for
future releases of the ebXML Messaging Service

Requirements List
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| Number| Description                                             | Priorit| Type        | Raised By| Releas|
|       |                                                         | y      |             |          | e     |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 1     | What about dealing with SOAP1.2? We could prepare to    | M-H    | Specificatio| Chris    | 3.0   |
|       | have a version compatible with SOAP1.2 when it changes  |        | n           | Ferris   |       |
|       | status to PR or REC. That would involve some namespace  |        |             |          |       |
|       | changes and a change to the HTTP Binding as well as     |        |             |          |       |
|       | treatment of attachments.                               |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 2     | Capture, answer and resolve any question and issues     | M-H    | General     | Ian Jones| 3.0   |
|       | raised against version 2.0                              |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 3     | The Business interface layer has never been written - do| M      | Specificatio| Ian Jones| 3.0   |
|       | we still need it?                                       |        | n           |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 4     | A document to describe the minimum implementation.      | L      | Documentatio| Ian Jones| 3.0   |
|       |                                                         |        | n           |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 5     | A primer/introduction to the messaging service.         | L-M    | Documentatio| Ian Jones| 3.0   |
|       |                                                         |        | n           |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 6     | The IIC TC is producing a conformance                   | L      | Documentatio| Ian Jones| 3.0   |
|       | test/suite/documentation for version 2.0, the MSG TC    |        | n           |          |       |
|       | will support this work.                                 |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 7     | Encryption (encrypt the entire document including MIME  | NO     | Specificatio| David    | 3.0   |
|       | headers) Decided this issue was about extending beyond  |        | n           | Fischer  |       |
|       | the current vague pointer towards XML Encryption to     |        |             |          |       |
|       | include additional features. See 11 as well.            |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 8     | Forwarding/Multi-hop (especially with the identified    | [1]    | Specificatio| David    | 3.0   |
|       | problems with Signatures)                               |        | n           | Fischer  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 9     | Third-Party Processing (Intermediate Timestamps...)     | hold   | Specificatio| David    | 3.0   |
|       |                                                         | for 8  | n           | Fischer  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 10    | Chunking (sending extremely large files in pieces)      | NO     | Specificatio| David    | 3.0   |
|       |                                                         |        | n           | Fischer  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 11    | Now that XML Encryption is a W3C candidate              | H      | Specificatio| Arvola   | 3.0   |
|       | recommendation, we ought to figure out how it is to be  |        | n           | Chan     |       |
|       | used in conjunction with ebMS.                          |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 12    | We also may want to coordinate with the CPP/A team to   | [3]    | Specificatio| Arvola   | 3.0   |
|       | determine how intermediaries ought to be configured.    |        | n           | Chan     |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 13    | Future releases should be backward compatible to version| [4]    | Specificatio| Duane    | All   |
|       | 2.0.                                                    |        | n           | Nickull  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 14    | Query supported versions and functionality - This needs | L-M    | Specificatio| Ian Jones| 3.0+  |
|       | to relate to CPPA discovery may duplicate function but  |        | n           |          |       |
|       | could be useful in a Web Service framework.             |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 15    | Include SAML based authentication of MSH's and ebXML    | hold   | Specificatio| Zahid    | 3     |
|       | message originating parties.                            | for 16 | n           | Ahmed    |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 16    | Alignment with WS-Security TC work.                     | H      | Specificatio| Doug     | 3     |
|       |                                                         |        | n           | Bunting  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 17    | Alignment with BPSS group around conversational         | H      | Specificatio| Doug     | 3     |
|       | semantics.                                              |        | n           | Bunting  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 18    | Modularity for increased flexibility and ability to use | H      | Specificatio| Doug     | 3     |
|       | other, emerging Web service standards.                  |        | n           | Bunting  |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 18a   | Extend modularity to support inclusion of ebXML features| M      | Specificatio| Doug     | 3     |
|       | in other Web service standards. For example,            |        | n           | Bunting  |       |
|       | WS-Reliability, WS-Conversations and WS-Manifest.       |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 19    | Default CPA [this may overlap with item 4] to (for      | M      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | example) support CPA negotiation phase.                 |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 20    | Revisit SyncReply around a) constraints on use b)       | H      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | inclusion in a synchronous response and c) significant  |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|       | differences between mshSignals and other syncReplyMode  |        |             |          |       |
|       | settings (implementation barriers if all are required). |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 21    | Issues around reliability such as permanent disconnects | M      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | – meaning of reliability features in specification.     |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 21a   | Issues around reliability – better describe the failure | H      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | conditions.                                             |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 22    | Deal with multiple MSH's – issues for clusters.         | M      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | Resolution leaned towards new requirements for such     |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|       | clusters to externally function as a single MSH, make   |        |             |          |       |
|       | the interface to the cluster identical to the interface |        |             |          |       |
|       | to a single MSH.                                        |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 23    | Other BPSS alignment issues as they arise.              | H      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       |                                                         |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 24    | Alignment with WSDL group and their output. Options     | L      | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | include a) WSDL binding to the ebXML Messaging protocol |        | n           | Durand   |       |
|       | b) WSDL extensions to cover requiring ebXML Messaging   |        |             |          |       |
|       | headers and c) WSDL documents describing the services   |        |             |          |       |
|       | defined in our specification (ping and status query).   |        |             |          |       |
|       | The first two were thought to be CPP/A issues so        |        |             |          |       |
|       | priority is only for 24c.                               |        |             |          |       |
|-------+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+-------------+----------+-------|
| 25    | Liaisons to WSS TC or OASIS Security JC, BPSS group, W3C| VH     | Group       | ??       | ongoin|
| 26    | Support larger attachments (through compression for     | L-M    | Specificatio| Jacques  | 3     |
|       | example, not chunking).                                 |        | n           | Durand   |       |
| 27    | Explicit settings used when sending our services        | L-M    | Specificatio| Matt     | 3     |
|       | (without other content). May become a call for a larger |        | n           | MacKenzie|       |
|       | set of default properties as described in 19.           |        |             |          |       |